100th Anniversary of the National Jubilee of Peace
July 21, 2011
Old Manassas Courthouse (Located at Old Manassas Courthouse at the intersection of Grant and Lee Avenues, Manassas, VA)
Manassas participates in a full recreation of the 1911 Peace Jubilee for the 100th Anniversary with vintage automobiles, flags, colorful bunting, peace maidens and a production of the ceremony on the courthouse steps with President Taft and Civil War Veterans. Media event at Prince William County Courthouse, to be followed by a Welcoming Ceremony at the Harris Pavilion in Old Town Manassas.
On July 21, 1911, the 50th anniversary of the First Battle of Manassas, “The Great Peace Jubilee and Reunion” was held on the Manassas courthouse grounds. The dramatic event was attended by thousands, including aging veterans of both the Union and Confederate forces. Colonel Edmund Berkeley, a resident of Prince William who served in the 8th Virginia, welcomed the veterans. Responses were made by General John E. Gilman, commander-in-chief of the Grand Army of the Republic and by General George W. Gordon, grand commander of the United Confederate Veterans. After a luncheon served at the Henry farm (now part of the Manassas National Battlefield Park), the veterans returned to Manassas where they were addressed by President Taft and Virginia Governor William Hodges Mann. The program included a pageant in which forty-eight young women representing each of the reunited states was presided over by Lady Columbia. Tours of the Battlefield and many other special events were held.
George Carr Round, a Union veteran who settled in Manassas, served as the Jubilee Chairman and is given credit for organizing and the overall success of the event. Mr. Round gave the land to the county for construction of the courthouse, and was instrumental in the establishment of the Manassas National Battlefield Park.
Colonel Edmund Berkeley opened the event with a poem:
Excerpt and Poem from Evergreen Manor House